Gaming worker

What they do

Gaming workers, also known as gaming dealers or croupiers, usually operate and run gaming tables. The only licensed casino in Western Australia is located at Burswood Entertainment Complex, in Perth, and is the main employer of these employees in the State. A gaming worker must be able to shuffle, cut and deal cards, and take bets and pay winners. An important part of their role is to ensure they provide a level of entertainment for casino patrons.

Working conditions

A gaming worker must make sure that the rules and regulations of a game and an establishment are followed by customers, and they may also need to explain rules to patrons. They must also be clear on the winners and losers of a game, and calculate and pay out the correct winnings. A gaming worker needs to be able to work under pressure and remain calm at all times, particularly when working with customers who are under the influence of alcohol.

At Burswood Entertainment Complex, the Casino is open 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Gaming workers must therefore work according to a roster including morning, afternoon, night and weekend shifts.

Tools and technologies

Depending on the game a gaming worker is dealing, they may need to understand how to play a computerised form of the game. There are many of types of games that offer a computerised version. Workers will also need to be familiar with how to operate the card sorter on a computerised version.

How do I become one?

Education and training

 It is possible to work as a gaming worker without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in hospitality.

 The Certificates II and III in Hospitality are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

 You can also undertake a traineeship in hospitality - gaming. The traineeship usually take 24 months to complete.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

Learn more about your study options.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a gaming worker in a licensed premises in Western Australia, you need to obtain a Casino Employee Licence through the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries. You will also need to obtain a National Police Clearance.

As part of the application process, you will need to show that you have either completed a training course approved by the Department of Racing, Gaming and Liquor Western Australia, prove you have sufficient experience to be qualified to work as a licensed gaming premise employee, or have a letter from the casino stating that they are considering employing you in a specified role.

Crown Perth offers an in-house training course for people interested in working as a croupier, which is approved by the Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries.

 Contact Crown Perth for more information