Fitness instructor

What they do

Fitness instructors help people improve and maintain their fitness through exercise programs and tailored fitness classes. They work with people in groups, or one-on-one, and assess their fitness, develop individual fitness routines and teach them how to use gym equipment and weights correctly. They also work with individuals who are training for a particular sport or event, or who may be recovering from physical illness or injury.

Working conditions

Fitness instructors work in gyms, fitness clubs and leisure centres, which can be noisy and crowded. They are often required to work shift work for early morning or late evening fitness classes or client appointments. Some fitness instructors work on a casual basis and may work at a number of different locations.

Tools and technologies

Fitness instructors use gym and pool equipment, weights, steps, pads, mats and safety gear during training. They also may use fitness testing equipment such as heart-rate monitors and scales to gauge a client's progress. When leading large fitness classes, they often use stereo systems and microphones.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a fitness instructor you usually need to complete a formal qualification in fitness.

The Certificate III in Fitness and Certificate IV in Fitness are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

You can also undertake a traineeship in fitness (level 3) or fitness (level 4). The traineeships usually takes 24 months to complete.

Learn more about your study options.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

You will be required to have a current Provide First Aid certificate.