Fibrous plasterer

What they do

Fibrous plasterers mix and apply plaster to interior and exterior walls, and apply and fix plasterboard partitions, suspended ceilings, fire-rating systems, acoustic tiles, and composite wall linings to buildings. Fibrous plasterers insulate and fireproof materials bonded with plaster, plastic cement and similar materials. They also interpret building plans and liaise with clients. They work throughout the State, on everything from new commercial buildings in regional towns to homes in Perth's suburban areas. 

Working conditions

Fibrous plasterers usually work for building contractors, although some are self-employed and work independently. Fibrous plasterers usually work for companies that specialise in ornamental plastering.

Tools and technologies

Fibrous plasterers work with plaster or fibrous cement board, and as such may use panel board lifters, hand tools such as collated screw guns for fixing plasterboard, sanding machines or vacuum sanders.

Fibrous plasterers may also use ladders and scaffolding to reach high areas, and may need to wear protective clothing such as overalls, hard hats and dust masks.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a fibrous plasterer, you usually need to undertake an apprenticeship in wall and ceiling fixing.

The wall and ceiling fixing apprenticeship usually takes 36 to 48 months to complete and is available as a school-based apprenticeship. 

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as a fibrous plasterer in Western Australia, you will need to obtain a Construction Induction Card (also known as a “white card”) from a registered training organisation authorised by the WorkSafe Division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

To work as a fibrous plasterer in Western Australia, you may need to obtain a registration from the Building Commission of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety if you carry out work valued at more than $20,000, or work under the supervision of someone who is accredited as a registered building practitioner. 

You may need to obtain a High Risk Work license from the WorkSafe Division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

You may also be interested in