Electronic instrument trades worker (general)

Also known as:

  • Instrument and control service person

What they do

An electronic instrument trades worker installs, modifies, maintains and repairs electronic instruments and control systems.

These instruments measure and control temperature, pressure and flow-in processes used in industries such as petro-chemical, mining, food processing and manufacturing.

Registration or licensing may be required.

Specialisations include: Communication electronic technician (air force), Electronic technician (navy)

Working conditions

Instrumentation tradespersons may work in the minerals and pulp and paper industries, power stations, oil refineries, chemical processing plants and hospitals. Industry is increasingly using instruments in the monitoring and control of various processes.

Tools and technologies

An electronic instrument trades worker may use:
1000V Rated Tools; AC Detectors/Testers; adjustable wrenches; cable cutters; cable tie guns; cable strippers; crimpers; modular plugs; terminals; crimper die sets and frames; diagonal/micro cutters; electrician scissors; ESD extractors, screwdrivers/cutters and ESD static protection; heat shrink guns; hex key sets; IC insertion tools; pick-up tools; pliers; precision screwdrivers; solder aids and tools; workbench magnifiers; wiring installation tools and wire strippers.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become an electronic equipment trades worker you usually need to undertake an apprenticeship in electronics and communications. The apprenticeship usually takes 48 months to complete and is available as a school-based apprenticeship.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing

To work as an electrical instrumentation trades worker in Western Australia, you will need to obtain an Electrician’s License issued by the Electrical Licensing Board of Western Australia.