Doorperson or luggage porter

What they do

Doorpersons or luggage porters are responsible for greeting and welcoming guests to hotels, and for assisting with their luggage. They may also work in transport terminals assisting people with their luggage, or in luxury apartment complexes or high-rise residences. They usually oversee the entrance to these buildings, opening the door for guests, and providing them with advice on transport and tourist attractions. They may also hail taxis for guests, sign and deliver for packages and accept food deliveries. Doorpersons and luggage porters usually work in busy city locations and transport terminals.

Working conditions

Doorpsersons and luggage porters work in hotels, luxury apartments and residences, and transport terminals. They are often required to undertake heavy lifting, and may be required to perform repetitive tasks, such as manning doorways and opening doors. They often work in shifts, which can include late nights, weekends and public holidays, but may also work regular hours depending on their position or the organisation they work for. They are usually required to wear a uniform.

Tools and technologies

Doorpersons and luggage porters often use trolleys to carry luggage, as well as log books to record and organise deliveries. They may also use 2-way radios to communicate with other hotel staff. They may also be required to use computers.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a doorperson or luggage porter without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved by obtaining a qualification in hospitality.

The Certificate I in Hospitality is offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

Learn more about your study options

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.

Required registration and licensing