Conference and event organiser

What they do

Conference and event organisers plan, design and coordinate events, from business conferences in Perth's CBD, to weddings at Kings Park or in one of the States many parks and gardens. They can work for hotels, function centres, catering businesses and wineries. They are responsible for promoting the event to potential customers, as well as arranging the venue and getting quotes for appropriate external services. These services may include catering, signage, transport and audio-visual equipment.

Working conditions

Conference and event organisers usually work in offices, but can spend a large amount of their time in venues where the events that they plan are held. They are often required to travel some distance to the places where these events are held. Conference and event organisers are often present at the events that they plan and organise, and therefore are often required to work in busy environments with large numbers of people.

Tools and technologies

Conference and event organisers usually require knowledge of computers, and may also need to be familiar with lighting, stage, ticketing or catering equipment.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a conference and event organiser you usually need to gain a qualification in events management.

The Diploma of Event Management and the Advanced Diploma of Event Management are offered at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. To find a training provider near you, browse the Jobs and Skills WA website or visit the My Skills website.

You can also complete a degree majoring in event management, or sport, recreation and event management. Some universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information.


Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.