Commercial housekeeper (hotel/motel room attendant)

What they do

Commercial housekeepers use vacuum cleaners to clean carpets; clean, dust and polish furniture and fittings, and sweep and mop wet areas. They also clean and disinfect toilet and bathroom areas. They may also restock fridges and tea/coffee supplies, and be required to clean walls, windows, and hallways.

Working conditions

A commercial housekeeper would normally work 38 hours per week, Monday to Friday. However they may need to be work shifts, start early in the morning, or on the weekend if required.

Tools and technologies

Depending on the area they work in commercial housekeepers my need to be proficient in using specialised cleaning tools such as pressure cleaners.

How do I become one?

Education and training

It is possible to work as a commercial housekeeper without any formal qualifications and get training on the job. However, entry into this occupation may be improved with qualifications or previous work experience.

The Certificate III in Asset Management (Cleaning Operations) is offered at TAFE Colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

You can also become qualified to work as a commercial housekeeper by completing a traineeship in cleaning operations. The traineeship normally takes between 6 and 12 months to complete.

Apprenticeships and traineeships

As an apprentice or trainee, you enter into a formal training contract with an employer, enabling you to complete training towards a nationally recognised qualification. You spend  time working and learning practical skills on the job and you spend some time undertaking structured training with a registered training provider.

You can do an apprenticeship or traineeship if you are a school-leaver, re-entering the workforce or as an adult or mature-aged person wishing to change careers. You can even begin your apprenticeship or traineeship while you're still at school.

If you are still at school you can access an apprenticeship through your school. Talk to your school's VET Co-ordinator to start your training now through VET in Schools. If you are no longer at school you can apply for an apprenticeship or traineeship and get paid while you learn and work.