Civil celebrant

What they do

Civil celebrants conduct non-religious weddings, funerals and other formal ceremonies celebrated in the community. The most common ceremony civil celebrants carry out is for non-religious marriages. Civil celebrants are expected to prepare an individual ceremony for their clients, with the help of their clients. They provide resources and advice to assist clients express their values and ideals, which are then incorporated into proceedings. They perform the ceremony, and ensure all documentation is handled appropriately and according to legal requirements.

Working conditions

Civil celebrants carry out weddings and other ceremonies at indoor and outdoor venues, at historic sites such as the Old Swan Brewery on the Swan River or King's Park in the heart of Perth, or in their client's home or garden. Civil celebrants will carry out ceremonies on the date and time requested by their client, so may need to work on weekends and at any time during the day or night. While many ceremonies are times of celebration and joy, civil celebrants may also conduct funeral services. This calls for sensitivity about the needs of grieving clients and their families. Civil celebrants are generally self- employed.

Tools and technologies

Civil celebrants use a range of office equipment to maintain their client records and correspondence, and any resource material. They may also use a range of audiovisual equipment to enhance their presentation during ceremonies, such as PA systems, microphones and projectors.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a civil celebrant you usually need to gain a qualification in celebrancy. The Certificate IV in Celebrancy is offered at registered training organisations throughout Western Australia.

Browse courses through Jobs and Skills WA and search on the My Skills website to find a registered provider near you.

Learn more about your study options.



Required registration and licensing

To work as a civil celebrant in Western Australia you will need to obtain marriage celebrant registration from the Australian Government.