Child protection worker

What they do

Child protection workers attend to the physical, emotional and educational needs of children who enter the child protection system. They respond to children who have suffered or likely to suffer significant harm due to abuse or neglect. They help promote the safety, stability and development of children by providing professional assessments and interventions, as well as supporting foster carers to meet the practical and therapeutic care needs of children.

Child protection workers may work within the child protection systems, foster care agencies, residential settings, within diverse multicultural communities and within the courts across Western Australia.

Working conditions

Child protection workers’ work environment is usually a combination of office and out of office. They have regular contact with clients and community resources. Some flexibility in working hours may be required.  Positions are usually available in country and metropolitan locations.

Tools and technologies

Child protection workers use standard office equipment, including computers, faxes and photocopiers. They usually need a current ‘C or A’ class driver’s licence to visit clients.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a child protection worker, you usually need to study a degree in social work, psychology or a relevant human services area.

All universities in Western Australia offer relevant courses. Contact the universities you are interested in for more information. 

Required registration and licensing

To work as a child protection worker in Western Australia, you will need to hold a current Working with Children Check issued by the Working with Children Screening Unit of the Department of Communities. You may also require a National Police Certificate from the Australian Federal Police.