Building surveyor

What they do

Building inspectors, more commonly known as building surveyors, inspect work on buildings for compliance with construction laws and regulations, and safety standards. They also make sure that buildings are energy efficient and accessible. They analyse plans, issue relevant permits, certificates and approvals, and conduct inspections during the construction phase to ensure that the building is fit to be occupied. Building surveyors may work all over the State in corporate companies working on residential and commercial developments, or for local government agencies.

Working conditions

Building surveyors often split their time between working in an office environment and being on construction sites conducting inspections. They generally work business hours, however, they may work overtime to meet project deadlines. Building sites may be hazardous spaces and when on site they are usually required to wear safety gear.

Tools and technologies

Building surveyors use computers to prepare reports, maintain business documentation and databases, and communicate with clients. They read architectural plans to ensure compliance, and are able to connect the plans to construction conditions on site. When on a construction site they must wear safety equipment such as a hard hat, steel-capped boots, safety glasses, high-visibility clothing and ear protection.

How do I become one?

Education and training

To become a building surveyor, you usually need to complete a formal qualification in building surveying.

The Advanced Diploma of Building Surveying is available at TAFE colleges and other registered training organisations throughout Western Australia. Browse the Jobs and Skills WA and My Skills websites to find a registered provider near you.

You can also complete a degree in building surveying. CQ University offers a six-year part time Bachelor of Building Surveying and Certification (Honours) via distance education. This is the only undergraduate degree in building surveying currently available in WA. Contact the university for more information.

Required registration and licensing

In WA, building surveyors must be registered with the Building Services Board. There are different levels of registration which, based on your qualifications and experience, determine the types of buildings you can work on. Contact the Building Commission Division of the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety for more information.

Workers in the construction industry must undergo safety induction training and be issued with a Construction Induction Card (commonly known as a white card). In WA, training is conducted by registered training organisations authorised by the WorkSafe Division; Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.