This qualification has a focus on ethics of interpreting and concepts to assist in interpreting preparation.
It is best suited to people who have some experience in interpreting and have completed a Diploma of Auslan.
Choose a WA TAFE college that delivers this course
To find out more about doing this course at a WA TAFE college, select one of the TAFEs listed below to read their course descriptions. You'll also be able to see at which TAFE campus/es the course is delivered.
If you would like further information such as when the course is available and how to enrol, and details of course fees, or if you have questions about how the course is delivered, please follow the Find out more link to go to the TAFE's website where you will find full course details and contact information so that you can speak to the TAFE directly.
Do you want to put your Auslan skills to good use?
This course has a focus on ethics of interpreting and concepts to assist in interpreting preparation. It is best suited to people who have some experience in interpreting and have completed a Diploma of Auslan. With this qualification and some experience behind you, you could find yourself working in community organisations and/or the private sector.
The need for Auslan interpreters exists across every sector including:
- Health environments - assisting people with hospital appointments, clinics, specialist appointments, hospice care
- Social welfare - helping people access services at organisations relating to the Department of Human Services (eg Centrelink, Medicare, Immigration etc)
- Legal - providing help with court appearances and documents, police interviews and prisons
- Educational - at all levels of education, formal and informal.
This Diploma will specialise in Auslan - English interpreting.
Auslan skills are not taught in the Diploma of Interpreting (Auslan - English) qualification, so you will need to demonstrate:
- An interview, prior to enrolment to assess your Auslan proficiency and
- BKSB testing in Literacy and Numeracy - you will need to achieve a level 3
The information presented on the course lists within this website is provided to the Department of Training and Workforce Development by the WA TAFE colleges and private training providers, and is offered as a guide only. It is updated regularly, however some changes to details may occur in between updates. You should always contact the TAFE or private training provider directly to confirm details and/or ask questions.