If you would like to work as a Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal skipper in the maritime industry, this is the course for you! You'll be qualified to:
- command a commercial marine vessel up to 12 metres in length with propulsion power that is unlimited for an outboard engine, or up to 100 kW for an inboard engine that is not carrying passengers; and
- operate this vessel in sheltered waters, and or as a tender or auxiliary vessel within three nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) or within three nm from point of departure, shore base or aquaculture lease.
Skills and knowledge covered include handling a vessel less than 12 metres in length; applying basic maintenance and environmental knowledge; applying safety procedures at sea; and demonstrating seamanship skills.
Choose a WA TAFE college that delivers this course
To find out more about doing this course at a WA TAFE college, select one of the TAFEs listed below to read their course descriptions. You'll also be able to see at which TAFE campus/es the course is delivered.
If you would like further information such as when the course is available and how to enrol, and details of course fees, or if you have questions about how the course is delivered, please follow the Find out more link to go to the TAFE's website where you will find full course details and contact information so that you can speak to the TAFE directly.
Do you want to start a career at sea?
This qualification is suitable for people who work as a Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal skipper in the maritime industry. This qualification enables graduates to command a commercial marine vessel:
- up to 12 metres in length
- with propulsion power that is unlimited for an outboard engine or up to 100 kW for an inboard engine
- that is not carrying passengers, and to operate this vessel
- in sheltered waters, and
- or as a tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ) or within 3 nm from point of departure, shore base or aquaculture lease.
You will also gain the following skills:
- Handling a vessel less than 12 metres in length
- Applying basic maintenance and environmental knowledge
- Applying safety procedures at sea, and
- Demonstrating seamanship skills.
Are you ready to pursue a career at sea?
The Certificate I in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 2 Near Coastal) entitles certificate holders to:
- Command a vessel less than 12m in length that is not carrying passengers and has less than 100kw of power for an inboard engine (however outboards are unlimited).
- Operate a vessel in sheltered waters or as a tender within 3m of a parent vessel or from an aquaculture lease.
This qualification is delivered in skill sets, enabling flexibility for students and the ability to articulate across qualifications.
To obtain a Coxswain Grade 2 Certificate of Competency applicants are required to complete all units of training, have completed either 7 days qualifying sea service on a commercial vessel and completed the approved task book OR 60 days qualifying sea service on commercial or recreational vessels (*Note - sea service must be completed in the last 5 years).
Click on the course structure tab for block dates...
The information presented on the course lists within this website is provided to the Department of Training and Workforce Development by the WA TAFE colleges and private training providers, and is offered as a guide only. It is updated regularly, however some changes to details may occur in between updates. You should always contact the TAFE or private training provider directly to confirm details and/or ask questions.